Adventures of Alex O & Co

Adventures of Alex O & Co
You only live once......................live beautifully!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Russell


This has been a sad week, my Uncle Russell died at the weekend.
He lived in sunny California and made surf boards.
I had the honour many years ago when I set out on my big OE of living with him and my Aunt for three months and really getting to know him.

He was the sweetest, kindest most generous man.
He took my Aunt and I on a road trips to  San Diego, Mexico and to Big Bear.
He introduced me to the world of surfers.
He took me on drives in his Pink ZZ Top car.
He made me laugh at the small things in life.
He called me Rip after Rip Van winkle as I used to sleep half the day away.
He used to get me to say " Leaping Lesbians " and he would belly laugh at how funny it sounded with my Kiwi accent.
He loved the " Lakers".
He adored and loved my aunt who he would drive most morning's to her favourite coffee shop (20 minutes down the road) to get a coffee before he went to work.
He thought the best of everyone.
I could go on and on about the great memories I have of Russell.

He is written up here:

http://beach.orangecounty.com/2011/08/22/iconic-newport-surfboard-shaper-dies/38639/

Some of the comments made are so lovely. Like this one from Pod:

A year after I got out of High School I knew how to do one thing, get in trouble. At this point I meet Russell ” Russ” he gave me a job as a sales person at the shop. He new about my troubles but never harped on it just told me to listen, learn and be myself (except when I was making bad choices that would not be cool with him) From their Russ became my confidant, mentor and was like a father to me. Russell taught me that love is more important then anything and to share it (with who you cared about and in General) would lead to your Zenith in life. Under Russ’s total tutelage I learn to live a way better way, less trouble, more love, and a person who’s love in return was so strong it shakes me now! Russell- Russ I appreciate you, love you, and thank you for your Unconditional Love. I will never forget your ability to see good in me and help me find it. And I will never forget you taught me to be a Good Man. God was looking out for me when he shared your life with me and I pray you look over me and my family as I will live like you taught me.
Rest in Peace Bro,
“Pod”
Padraig Cullen

I don't think Russell had any idea how many life's he touched and how much he was loved.
I will miss you in this world Russell.
I pray peace for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment